This page contains affiliate links and we may receive compensation when you click through, purchase or sign up for anything through those links. Read the full disclaimer for more information.
Last Updated on August 25, 2020 by Daniella
If you’re like most people, you likely have stacks of old DVDs that you haven’t watched in years. You may have a drawer dedicated to old electronics or a pile of old gaming equipment in a box under the TV. Did you know that you can sell your stuff online and make money from these items?
If you are looking for a place to sell your clothes, household items, or other clutter, you might have encountered Decluttr. Decluttr is an app that lets individuals sell their unwanted media and technology on their web or app platform and get cash for those items.Keep reading for our full Decluttr review, discover how to use it, and decide if it is right for you.
What is Decluttr?
Decluttr is a website and app that provides a platform for users to sell their used media and electronic items. It also allows people to purchase used media and electronics from their platform. Decluttr is unique because users are not buying and selling from each other. Instead, they are buying and selling from Decluttr directly.
Headquartered out of Kennesaw, GA, Decluttr has been in operation since 2013. While Decluttr isn’t one of the oldest electronics buying-and-selling markets on the internet, the website has paid out to over six million customers.
What Can You Sell on Decluttr?
Users can sell all types of electronics, media, and some other similar items on Decluttr. Decluttr only takes items that are in good condition, so check to see what you have laying around the house. These items include:
- Books – It is often difficult to receive money for used books, and especially used textbooks. Users can get paid for popular novels, textbooks, and some other types of books on this website.
- Music – Just because you aren’t listening to your old CD’s doesn’t mean that someone else isn’t in the market for them. There is a surprisingly large resale market for CD’s and records. If you no longer need your hard copy of your music, you may want to declutter your home and sell your CD’s on Decluttr.
- Movies – If you’ve become a Netflix, Amazon Prime, or other streaming service customer, then your collection of DVDs might be collecting some dust. You can earn money for DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and more. If you have especially popular titles, you could earn a good chunk of change for offloading your old movies.
- Video Games – As video games continue to move online, reselling old video games becomes an increasingly less profitable venture. You can sell your video games on Decluttr to help another gamer play for the first time. If you sell a few of your games, you’ll be able to fund your next video game purchase!
- LEGOs – While LEGO bricks aren’t electronics, Decluttr will pay a pretty penny for them. In fact, Decluttr will buy your old LEGO sets by weight. If you or your kids have outgrown a LEGO phase, you can turn them into cash while freeing up some space in your home for new hobbies.
- Cell Phones – Many people receive their new cell phones and put the old one in a junk drawer or other storage. However, you can earn money from your old phones even if local shops won’t accept them. Popular brands on the Decluttr website include Apple, Samsung, HTC, LG, and others. Before selling an old phone, you should ensure that the battery has not corroded inside the phone. Who knows, that old Razr of yours could be worth something.
- Computers & Tablets – If you have a former generation of a tablet laying around somewhere, you should see if it is worth something on Decluttr. The same goes for old computers and other large electronics. There are plenty of people who use computer parts to build new computers, so your old junk could be a computer builder’s treasure.
- Kindles and e-Readers – Did you jump on the Kindle bandwagon, then buy a newer generation later? If you have any e-readers or similar devices that aren’t getting any use in your house, see if they are worth something on Decluttr.
- Other Technology – There are specific brands that are sought after on Decluttr. These include Apple products that haven’t already been mentioned, old Kindles, and several video game consoles. Additionally, if you have smartwatches or similar electronics, you may want to see if you can earn money by selling them online.
How to Use Decluttr
If you have any of the items above and want to earn some extra cash, then you’re in luck. The Decluttr app and website are user-friendly, and the app is free to download. You can also set up your entire account and post items for sale from your mobile device, making it very user-friendly. Here is how to use Decluttr:
How to Sign Up
The first step is to visit the website or download the Decluttr app. Then, you can create your account. All you will need to register is your name, street address, email address, and a password. Then, when your account is created, you can start selling.
How to Sell Items
Now that your account is set up, you are ready to start making money. You may want to collect all the items that you want to sell and have them close by. For example, if you have several DVD’s that you’d like to get rid of as well as an old computer and cell phone, bring them all to a kitchen table or workspace so that you can scan them all efficiently.
Then, open the ‘selling’ portion of the app. You will click ‘scan new item’ and will see a square appear on your screen. This is where you will scan the barcode of the item you would like to sell (you can also select your item to sell from the main menu on the web app). If Decluttr is accepting the item you are selling, a screen will appear that tells you exactly how much they will pay for your item. If it is not accepted, you will see a red screen with a sad face.
You can sort the items that Decluttr will take and prepare those items for shipping. You will let Decluttr know in the app which items you are sending in, and they will send you a prepaid shipping label. Then, all you must do is send in your items and wait for payment.
Here is an example of how to select something to sell in Decluttr.
For my Samsung Galaxy Note 9, I went to the “Sell My Cell Phone” menu item and chose the model from the dropdown menu options.
Below is what I would get from Decluttr if I sold my cell phone to them today:
How to Get Paid
After you finalize your order, you can choose in the app how you want to get paid. You can choose PayPal, check, or a direct deposit. When Decluttr receives your shipment, they will pay you the full amount.
How Much Can You Earn from Decluttr?
The amount you earn from Decluttr depends on the value of the items you are selling. For example, some DVD’s may yield $0.20 and others might earn you $2. While Decluttr may not pay more than other apps or selling platforms, it is one of the easiest to use. For example, if you were to sell a DVD on eBay, you would have to post that item, do research on how much you could sell it for, and then deal with shipping. Decluttr makes the selling process much simpler.
Additionally, it provides a simple way for anyone to declutter their home while getting paid for it. If your other option was to drop a bunch of things off at Goodwill, then Decluttr pays more.
Should I Use Decluttr?
Decluttr has both pros and cons. While it is very simple to use, it does not pay more than other apps. Therefore, whether you decide to use Decluttr or not depends on what your goals are. If you are willing to take anything for your items (and those items are in either good or gently used condition) and just want to get rid of some items at home, then Decluttr might be the best option for you. If your goal is to make a bunch of extra money from your items, then you might be better off selling your things somewhere else.
Some of the pros in selling your stuff on Decluttr include:
- You don’t have to wait for others to buy your stuff. Instead, you sell the items directly to Decluttr.
- Decluttr will provide you the shipping label with free shipping. All you have to do is drop your item(s) off.
- Decluttr is easy to use when compared to similar reselling apps.
Cons of selling stuff on Decluttr include:
- You can’t try to sell items for the price you want. You can only sell the item for what Decluttr is willing to buy the item for.
- Not all items are accepted by Decluttr.
- They can send back your items if they don’t see the condition as acceptable enough.
- The price is often lower than what you can sell something for on eBay.
What Are My Other Options?
If you are looking for other places to sell your things, you may want to do a garage sale or evaluate other ways to earn money online. If you are open to a garage sale (or yard sale), check out our information on how to take your garage sale to the next level. If you would like to stick to selling things online, we also have tips for how you can use websites like Craigslist to buy and sell your things. Finally, if you’d rather flip items for a profit, we have information on that, too.
Sites Like Decluttr
There are many sites and apps out there just like Decluttr that let you sell old tech that you don’t need or use anymore.
Some of our favorite sites like Decluttr are:
- eBay: Originally an online auction site, many people including ourselves use eBay to resell items on. We specifically sell guitars, musical accessories, tech, collector’s items and name brand clothes and purses on the platform.
- Gazelle: You can trade-in your old cell phones and other devices for cash with Gazelle, much like Decluttr.
- Trademore Mobile: Trademore is another online service that will buy your old cell phones and other devices (like tablets and smartwatches) from you.
- Poshmark: You can’t really sell tech on Poshmark but you still sell a lot of other items. Poshmark is perfect for selling clothes, purses, shoes, accessories and more. Name brand items do the best on the platform.
- Mercari: Mercari is basically for everything. You can sell everything on this platform from kitchen accessories to toys and clothes to even tech and games.
Sign up to get your FREE list of items to flip and resell!
Get your list of over 30 ideas for items to flip and resell for a profit!
The Bottom Line
Decluttr is a great app for people who want to get rid of their things regardless of profit margins. However, if you are concerned with earning a specific amount from your items, you may want to try Decluttr before selling elsewhere. Decluttr can give you a good idea of what an item can yield and is simple to use. Additionally, they make shipping your items in bulk easy and free. Overall, Decluttr is a reliable, easy-to-use app with its main deficit being that it doesn’t pay as much as other platforms.
- SidelineSwap Review: Buy & Sell Athletic Gear Online
- Poshmark Review: Buying and Selling Used Brand Name Items Online
- Mistplay Review: Can You Really Earn Money Playing Games?
- VIPKID Reviews: Everything You Need to Know
Pin it for later!
Ease of Use9.5/10
- You don't have to wait for others to buy your stuff.
- Decluttr will provide you the shipping label with free shipping.
- Decluttr is easy to use when compared to similar reselling apps.
- You can only sell the item for what Decluttr is willing to buy the item for.
- Not all items are accepted by Decluttr.
- They can send back your items if they don't see the condition as acceptable enough..