No one gets anywhere in life without at least a little help. We've gotten to where we are thanks to a little help from our "friends". In this case, those friends are the tools and resources we used to get our financial shit together.
These are our favorite apps, tools, and resources that help us save money, make money, and track our financial progress.
Disclaimer: There are some affiliate links below, but these are all products we highly recommend. We will get paid a commission when you click on any of these links or purchase something through these links. Click here for our full disclaimer.
Along with these resources, check out our freebie resource library here for free printables, checklists, courses and more.
Our favorite apps and tools for budgeting, saving money and cash back:
- Cleo: A fun, witty AI that keeps your spending in check.
- Trim: Will negotiate your bills for you.
- Tally: Get help to pay off debt.
- The GYST (Get Your Shit Printable) Printable Bundle: Includes emergency planning sheets, maintenance and cleaning checklists, budget sheets, pay off debt tracker coloring sheets, savings coloring sheets, bullet journal pages, journal prompts, goal setting sheets, meal plans and more.
- Rakuten: Get a $10 bonus with our link and cash back at over 2,500 merchants (online and in-store).
- Ibotta: Another cash back app we like.
The best apps to make money with a side gig, online, or otherwise:
- Rover: Get paid to walk dogs, pet sit, house sit and more. Read our review here.
- VIPKID and Qkids: Become an online teacher and get paid up to $22 an hour part-time.
- Instacart: Get paid as a shopper or driver.
- Steady: An app to browse side gigs in your area.
- Pinecone Research: Make $3 per survey.
- Toluna: Get paid for your opinion and help market research.
Our favorite apps for selling online:
- eBay: What we use for flipping various items online.
- Poshmark: Great for designer items, clothes, shoes, and more.
- SidelineSwap: Resell athletic equipment and sporting goods.
- Decluttr: Sell your old electronics. Read our review here.
- Reverb: For selling musical instruments and accessories.
- Mercari: Get a $10 bonus with our link - Great or selling almost anything (great for toys and home/kitchen items).
Get a Job
These are our favorite sites and platforms to find remote work, freelance work, and all other types of jobs:
- Remote.co: For remote jobs.
- Indeed: For any job.
- Glassdoor: For any job (great for looking up reviews of company work culture and reported salaries).
- Linkedin: A necessary tool or any job search, outreach, and networking.
- ProBlogger: For freelance writing jobs.
- FreelancerMap: For I.T. focused freelancers.
- Freelancer: For all freelancers.
- Fiverr: For all freelancers.
- Upwork: For all freelancers.
This is what we use to invest and stay on track towards our financial goals:
- M1 Finance: The investment brokerage app we use for all of our investments outside of our 401ks and IRAs.
- Personal Capital: What we use to track our net worth and see all of our accounts in one place.
Blogging, Design & Running a Side Business
What we use to run our blog and online business:
- WordPress: The platform we use to run our blog.
- Astra: The theme we use to customize the look at feel (thanks to the amazing designer Kathleen Celmins).
- Canva: To create graphics and designs for several different social media platforms.
- Picmonkey: Another design app we love.
- Convertkit: For email marketing.
- Quickbooks: For tracking expenses and income.
- TurboTax: For filing taxes.
- Read here for how we legally cover our side business.
- Read here for the most recent income report.